Tuesday, July 31, 2012



Day Zero.  I went to the Clinic after class, filled out a few forms, presented my health
insurance (MN state health insurance provided to poor people for free) a copy
of "the letter", was examined, had my blood pressure taken, chatted a bit with a
very friendly nurse and a very nice doctor, and walked out with a months prescription
for estrodial (an estrogen) and an androgen blocker (testosterone blocker).
I had no idea I would walk out with the prescription - I thought it'd be a sent in the
mail next week - but no it went really well and the cost was $0.00 (unless they send me
a bill, but I didn't have to pay at the clinic) -I was extremely happy with the doctor
(I know several other trans people who go to her so I had confidence in her going
in and the visit just confirmed what I all ready knew - she's very good).
OK funniest part -I'm talking to the nurse and I'm really going on and a finally
say "I'm kind of babbling right now aren't I? I'm a little nervous..." and she says
"We get that a lot from [transexual people] the first time they're here"

So I went home and I called a friend who is also on hormones and she tells me
I should go ahead and pick up the prescription, so I went to the Wal-mart and
waited for the prescription to be filled and I didn't know how much it would cost
so I got some food with my MN state card for food while I waited (provided to
poor people in MN for free and worth $200/month in food (non-taxable food
items only). finally the prescriptions ready - I hand him my state health insurance
card and the cost is $0.00 for the monthly prescription.

So since I'd borrowed $20.00 yesterday from my mom for the doctor and the
medicine and spent nothing, I decided to buy a 3 pack of pantyhose and a bottle
of contact solution - OK thinking about it now I feel slightly guilty borrowing
money to buy pantyhose - but that really wasn't how I planned it - it just worked
out that way

so I was going to celebrate with a 6-pack, but my friend convinced me that drinking
beer isn't nearly as girly as having some expensive ice cream (and I do want to be
aware of what the drug effects are and not mask them with a hang over or something
like that - if there is a problem, I want to know its a reaction to the drugs not what I
had the night before) so I had some ice cream - which was very good and I shared
it with my dog.

So it's a little box with some patches in it and a little vial of pills

OK one story from my day that I could never make up - I'm taking classes that
go over building maintenance and some custodial stuff -and the teacher wanted
to demonstrate the use of a black light ( to spot animal and people urine stains
and things like that - so we. as a group of 10 guys, the teacher and me all walk
out of the classroom, wait outside the men's restroom until it's empty then we,
as a class go into the men's room and he turns off the light, turns on the black light
and demonstrates how you can spot poorly cleaned areas with the black light, but
OK it's dark, and I'm in the boys room (the only time I've ever been in the boys
room at this facility -because I present as a woman) so yeah, I'm in my skirt
and heels in a dark bathroom with 11 guys, and thinking "I'm just not going to
say anything right now!" happily the demonstration was over in a couple minutes
and he turned the lights back on and we all walked out of the restroom.

Otherwise today was a pretty typical day in class I did wear the pattern print
pencil skirt with the dark purple velvet top and greyish pumps, and I think
I'm going to wear a skirt tomorrow (Day One)


2 comments:

  1. YAY!! I wish you all the best on this momentous day. Hormones are wonderful and I hope you enjoy every day of becoming the new Stacy.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - it's all very new right now - I was joking with a friend
    that July 31st is sort of like my birthday. -Stacy

    ReplyDelete