Thursday, October 4, 2012

































I took a test for a local city government position Wednesday
night -it is being held over two days to take all the applicants
for 5 open positions -300 people are applying -they were
initially expecting 800 but only 300 applied -probably 50
or so didn't show up for the test -so there were about 100
people taking the test Wednesday and another 100 or so
will take it tonight. Anyways, there were 100 guys taking the
test, white men in their thirties and forties -there were three
women, about four people of color and exactly one openly
transexual person in her tan skirt,gold sweater, and tan leather
open toed booties with the 4" heels -yeh, that would be me.

The test was held at Normandale Community college (and
after the test I wandered around the Japanese Gardens there,
on the campus,they are absolutely lovely on a calm October night)

So I showed up and no one talked to me, but then 100 unemployed
men don't want to be seen as "gay" when applying for a maintenance
position and they are scared -they're really scared they don't talk to
each other because the other men are just like them ( ie unemployed
white men who are what Mitt Romney would call victims who
don't pay taxes and collect unemployment handouts from the
government ) -I seriously can't imagine being in a room with
100 women and 30 minutes to kill and not "networking": with
at least two other women, but in a room with 100 men not one
person is talking - and that is the definition of scared -when you sit
there in your seat away from every one else, silently, waiting,
not wanting to be noticed just wanting to sit silently take the test
and leave - it's a very disturbing image - I literally can't imagine
sitting in a room with 100 women and two women not finding
something to talk about, heck I can't imagine me sitting in a room
with a 100 women and not talking to someone -that's what
normal people do

anyways I was a little uncomfortable being in a skirt around all those
men, but mainly because every one was so uncomfortable with
the whole test process , and while taking the test, which was
multiple guess I screwed up big time and put literally about 60
answers in the wrong slots -I got out of sequence and when I
went back to check my answers at the end they were all wrong,
which was horrible, so frantically I erased just about everything
with my #2 pencils and put the right answers in (and I have a
good memory for test questions -I didn't have to rethink the questions,
just glance at it and fill in the dots -it only took about 10 minutes the
second time thru, but there was a pile of eraser pieces on my skirt when
stood up to hand in my test, and I'm so glad I caught it because otherwise
I just would ave been that silly you-know-what who showed up in
a skirt and got every answer wrong and was just a joke, and now instead
I'm someone who showed up as a serious candidate for the position,
and whether I get the position or not, they have to take me seriously.



Update: I have an interview Friday morning -I have a really excellent chance
at this ob if I interview well - the person setting it up wants me to wear a pants
suit (which I don't own) or slacks instead of a skirt - and I'm going to go along
with that, but I really want to wear a skirt to the interview, I sort of feel like
I'm selling out, but I need a good job and tat's what's important and I'm still
going to wear womans' slacks and blouse and pumps and makeup and all
that so it's not like I'm a total sellout -but dang! I really wanted to wear
a skirt to the interview -honestly I am incredibly thankful for this interview,
I just really wanted to wear a skirt

it's my puppies birthday so in honor of screwball:







No comments:

Post a Comment