Sunday, October 7, 2012



Go Vikes! the game hasn't started yet.  I sang in the choir today at church
-which was fun and not nearly as terrifying as I thought it'd be.
Last week the Pastor mentioned how there were no Trans people
in the choir, and so I fixed that problem.  I'm in the Tenor section
and practice is at 8, the service is at 10 and afterwards one goes
downstairs for a coffee and a salad and snack and chats a bit,
so it's a long day -but being in the choir makes the service go at
light speed.   Oh by the way, in case you wondered the people
who sing in the choir still have to pass the offering plate -we do
it during the sermon not the offeratory - but we don't get off
the hook that easy - oh well,

After service I walked around the arboreteum and then
drove the three mile loop for the fall color, which was nice
and I came at a good time because as I was leaving it got
really crowded.  I'm going back to the church for the blessing
of the pets and taking screwball with me to get her blessed.
So I'll miss the start of the Vikes game but I'll listen to it
on the way home and watch the end.

I thought writing a blog about looking for work as a trans
person would be a lot more interesting than it has turned out
to be -the truth of the matter is that I have been going to interviews
and some people are open to my being trans and some people
aren't but there is absolutely no reason, from my experience, not to
put on a nice skirt or a nice pair of slacks and makeup and walk
into an interview and expect to be treated respectfully, regardless
of what people may think, and the good companies are looking
for the best people and trans people can be the best people if
they apply themselves -so the point being, there really is no
significant difference between going to an interview dressed as
a man or dressed as a woman  -it's just not a big deal

So the basic premise of this blog, that there is something interesting
about me, a trans woman, looking for a job is flawed -I'm the same
as every body else - I just have better fashion sense

I'll still post once a week (on Sunday during Viking games - Go Vikes!)
but otherwise, I'm better off spending the time making phone calls,

Monday Update: A friend from school just got a part-time job YEAH!
I didn't hear back as a follow up on my last interview, I'll call back wed

Tuesday I see my psychiatrist and work the MNUnited phone banks a bit,
Wednesday I am going to a Job Fair
Thursday I have an interview set up
Friday is open so far
Saturday I'm seeing the Live Met broadcast of the Opera with my parents
Sunday I go to church (early now that I'm in the choir)

Next posting Sunday, unless I hear something

Wednesday Update -Tuesday saw my psychiatrist and then
spent the evening working the phone lines for MN United against
the marriage amendment - I wound up making about 30 calls recruiting
1 volunteer, getting 3 more people to commit to volunteering at other
locations (so someone has to call them back because I didn't have that
information) getting 4 wrong numbers, a whole host of not homes
(which was the most frustrating calls for me) and getting a person
who was giving me the religious arguments against children and gay
marriage, but as a trans person, I started talking about young trans
people who "try to celebrate there masculinity" as she put it and end up
committing suicide, and while I didn't change her mind on the amendment,
I at least got her to recognize that it's a lot better for young children who
are questioning their identity to have access to help adjusting than to
committing suicide -which is all too common in young trans people -
obviously the discussion detoured from the marriage issue to issues that
really matter to me and it was really striking how superficial these
arguments where when I mentioned that I had struggled with this for
years and knew several people who had tried to commit suicide and that
I now felt that in accepting that becoming  a woman was what God wanted
from me and she asked why would God want that, and I responded
honestly - "I don't know" but I went on to say that in trying to seek
help with this and trying to be a good person and living honestly that
I did think I was living the life I was meant to live - which is true and
I don't think she was convinced, but it's still the truth and so that's
kind of staid with me , that and I had tio park on the other side of Loring
Park and there was no way I was walking through Loring Park at 10 at night
so I wound up making a long walk in my skirt and heels on the sidewalks
and that was a little unpleasant (nobody bothered me it was just cold and
dark and too far to walk in heels)
Wednesday I went to the Job Fair and dropped off one resume so that
was pointless, then I went to a Open House for a recruiter and talked a bit
and dropped off a resume - and that was more useful -I wore a really
nice stretchy black skirt  - more an above the knees business skirt,
which is a little tight and long enough till one sits down, then it feels
really short - but with the purple velvet blouse and black pumps it
is a very nice outfit - I did get a call on Fridays interview
and there's going to be a SECOND INTERVIEW, but I just
have to wait to find out when - but that's looking very promising




No comments:

Post a Comment